HOW TO SUBMIT YOUR ORIGINAL KANJI
TIPS FOR MAKING YOUR ORIGINAL KANJI
Japanese Kanji is beauty of combining meaningful parts to create a word.
Here is a tip for the creation of your original kanji.
1. Think of a word or sound that reminds you of the theme (this year's theme: "Compassion/Caring/Kindness (Omoiyari 思いやり)"
2. Collect radicals and components that relate to the theme.
These sites are useful resources:
Resource for advanced learners:
Kanji dictionary. Especially Shimomura's Kanji dictionary for elementary school students (publisher: Kansei sha) has rich information of radicals.
3. Combine the radicals and mnemonics in a creative manner, and have multiple combinations.
4. Select your best Kanji, then write it on a paper and take a picture to upload! (see below)
1. Design your original Kanji that fit to this year's theme, and prepare the drawing in a PDF or JPG file (under 1 MB).
2. Go to submission form page by clicking submission link, upload file and fill the information of
Your School name and Grade (Elementary, Middle, High School):
Your Email Address:
Parent Email Address (optional):
Pronunciation of your original kanji:
Meaning of your original kanji:
Send email to
Only one entry per person please!
Winners will be notified via email in February-March 2022.
TERMS & CONDITIONS
in no event will the Original Kanji Competition (OKC) or any of its founders, or affiliates be liable for any damages, including without limitation any indirect, consequential, special, incidental, or punitive damages arising out of, based on, or resulting from this agreement or your use of the site, even if OKC or its founders or affiliates have been advised of the possibility of such damages.
You retain any ownership rights of your materials submitted to the Original Kanji Competition (OKC), but you grant OKC the following licence to use the submitted materials. When your submission is completed, you grant us a worldwide, royalty-free, perpetual, irrevocable, non-exclusive, transferable, and sublicensable to use, copy, modify, adapt, prepare derivative works from distribute, perform, and display your submission and name. You expressly agree that OKC may alter, edit or modify your submitted materials if needed. You agree to waive all rights of privacy, publicity, and defamation in and relating to the photograph and the posted quote or content.
We only collect the information you choose to give us, and we process it with your consent, or on another legal basis, we only require the minimum amount of personal information that is necessary to fulfill the purpose of your interaction with us, we don’t sell it to third parties; and we only use it as this privacy statement describes.